Monday, April 8, 2013

Empathy is Rewarded

UV 718/10,000 Empathy is Rewarded. “And the King will answer and say to them, “ Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these My brethren, you did it to Me.” Matthew 25 v 40 Empathy or feeling the pain of another as if it is your own is today recognized as an important facet of emotional intelligence. It is a character trait that we inherit from our heavenly Father. Jesus encourages His followers to look with empathy on the suffering around us. We might not be able to feed all the hungry, clothe all the naked or visit all the prisoners or help all the poor but what is within our capacity, we need to do. When we do it even for one of these, it is in the eyes of God as if we have fed all the hungry, clothed all the naked, visited all the prisoners and helped all the poor. Sympathy means that you look at them and say, “ Poor guy(s).” Empathy means we stop in our tracks, interrupt whatever we are doing and try to help. Jesus identifies with the poorest of the poor, the ones with the least social standing. Similarly, Scripture says, “do not be high-minded. Do not hesitate to associate with those of lesser social standing.” He told me once, “ I have visited you many times, once in the form of the woman who asked for some money to do a surgery, in the form of many people who asked for help. I was pleased you did not turn me down.” It is written that when we give to the poor, we are lending to the Lord. Empathy is rewarded and selfishness is punished. We are to demonstrate the love of God to others not just with words but with deeds inspired by the love of Christ who gave up all for us. We are to imitate Christ in His concern for the poor, the afflicted and the suffering. It is the sure sign that the compassion of God has filled our hearts and transformed our lives. Once as a young Assistant Superintendent of Police, a constable came to me as is the practice in the orderly room after a parade to voice his request. He said, “ I need a lakh of Rupees for my wife’s heart surgery.” I thought to myself that it is a big amount at the time and I would do what I can to mobilise it. Finally, after some efforts the hospital bill was paid. A few months later when I was lying injured at the scene of the bomb blast in Sriperumbudur, I thought that constable would rush to my help. Instead, the Lord sent an unknown poor boy to accompany me, bleeding profusely, burnt and wounded all over, in the back of the jeep up to the nearby hospital. The pain and shock was benumbing. The thirst was extreme. He gave me drops of water squeezed from a cotton wad. I had no idea where he got it from. When I asked him with genuine cathartic love, “ brother, what is your name?” He replied, “ Purush-uthomon.” That Sanskrit name means “ Best man”. It later struck me that I was first drawn to the gospel when a friend described Jesus as the “ best man”. Indeed, when we give to the poor, it is like lending to the Lord and He will pay us back. Prateep V Philip

1 comment:

  1. Very touching thought and UV. Was specially helpful in a few decisions I had to take. Thank you.
    Alfred Devaprasad

    ReplyDelete